Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Why did I weep?

Music has always been important to me - since a very young age.  When I exercise, I clip my tiny IPod Shuffle to my shirt and find energy in the songs I've chosen.  I've mentioned one of them before. 

Rewind to yesterday.  I was out for my walk and was on my last lap when a song began to play.  A song that I've always loved.  A song I would sing at the top of my lungs if no one could hear (and do sometimes when I'm alone since I can't carry a tune to save my life.)  The song usually energizes me but yesterday, it made me weep.  Right there, on the track.  The lyrics, the singer, the angst in her voice - it brought emotions to the surface.

Save me.
Save me from the nothing I've become.

I can't stop thinking about those lyrics.  What despair did the author of that song feel when they wrote them?  Have I felt them?  Do I know someone who does feel that despair?  And even worse, do I not recognize that despair and am I not there to help.  What brings a person to the conclusion that they are "nothing".  And can they be saved?  Maybe I wept for times of my own despair.  Maybe I wept for some unknown person feeling that despair  Maybe I wept for anyone that ever feels like they are nothing.  Nothing.  Such a lonely, powerful word.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Wanda. I saw your reply to my comment on Janet's blog. I didn't really paint my salon entry floor the correct way :) it's held up very well, but there's only an 8 inch border of it that is exposed around the rug. I cleaned the ceramic really well with an abrasive (soft scrub or bar keepers friend), then painted with kilz oil based primer.
    I'm so happy to have discovered your blog. What a thoughtful and introspective writer you are. There have been times where I've felt like "nothing" and as you note it's a painful way to be. Although, for me, in those times it was more that I was shutting other people out rather than the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephen Andrew! Thank you for your reply! I'm so excited to have heard from you! I can't wait until you open your blog again for us to see!

    ReplyDelete